Sports and Recreation
Parks, Preserves, Trails and Gardens
Arts and Entertainment
Schools and Colleges
Vineyards and Wineries
Farms, Orchards, and Markets
Activities for Children
PARKS, PRESERVES, TRAILS, AND GARDENS
The area code for the phone numbers listed below is
- Institute of Ecosystem Studies
- Cary Arboretum
- Millbrook, Rte. 44A; 677-5359
- 1,924-acre ecological research and educational center;
nature trails, self-guided driving tour.
- Innisfree Garden
- Millbrook, Tyrrel Rd.; 677-8000
- The design of this Chinese cup garden dates back 1,000 years. The
40-acre lake is surrounded by cliffs, low hills, waterfalls, and streams. MayOct.,
- Millbrook Tribute Gardens
- Millbrook, Franklin Ave.; 677-3434
- Garden, children's playground, walking trails.
- At the Millbrook School
- Millbrook, Rte. 44; 677-8261
- Forest Canopy Walkway4 platforms joined by roped
walkways 80 feet above forest floor.
- Trevor Zoo4-acre zoo with over 100 exotic and indigenous
animals. Reservation required for walkway and zoo.
- Nature Trailmarshland and boardwalk.
- Nellie Hill Preserve
- Dover Plains, 244-3271
- 144 acres; fields, woods, small ponds; hiking and nature trails; 10
rare plant species.
- Historic Hyde Park Trail
- Hyde Park; 229-9115, 229-8086
- 8.5 miles of hiking trails connecting several parks and historical
- Pinewoods Park
- Hyde Park, 229-8086
- 25 acres; fishing, hiking, nature trails, tennis.
- Riverfront Park
- Hyde Park, 229-8086
- 4 acres; hiking, nature trails, educational programs.
- Italian Gardens
- Hyde Park, 229-6432
- On Vanderbilt Mansion grounds. (See under Historic Sites.)
- Harlem Valley Rail Trail
- Millerton, 789-9591
- 21 miles of scenic hiking and biking trails linking towns, villages,
and state parks on the Harlem Valley railbed from Amenia to Copake Falls. No motorized
- Taconic State Park
- 225 acres; swimming, beach, fishing.
Pawling Nature Reserve
1,000 acres owned by the Nature Conservancy. Hiking trails in a variety of habitats,
including waterfalls and wetlands. Appalachian Trail crosses reserve.
- Stissing Mountain Fire Tower
- Pine Plains, 398-5673
- 90-foot tower at elevation of 1,492 feet with view of 3 states;
reached by hiking trails.
- Thompson Pond Preserve
- Pine Plains
- 490 acres, including 3-mile walking trail around glacial kettle-hole
- Baird State Park
- Pleasant Valley, 452-1489
- 590 acres; golf, tennis.
- Ferncliff Forest
- Rhinebeck, 876-3196
- 200-acre game refuge and forest preserve; 22-station nature walk.
- Buttercup Wildlife Sanctuary
- 550-acre wildlife sanctuary.
- Hudson Valley Raptor Center
- Stanfordville, 758-6957
- See eagles, hawks, falcons, vultures, and owls up close; natural
history programs, flying demonstrations with birds of prey. Apr.Oct., Fri.Sun.
- Wilcox Park
- Stanfordville, 758-6100
- 650 acres; beach, boat launching, cross-country skiing, fishing,
hiking, nature trails, miniature golf.
- Dutchess Community College
- Norrie Point Environmental Site,
- Staatsburg, 889-4830
- 8,000-gallon freshwater aquarium that replicates Hudson River; museum
of New York State wildlife; hiking trails. View of Hudson. MayOct.; weekends and
year-round by appointment.
Sharon Audubon Center
Sharon, CT; 860-364-0520
Over 11 miles of scenic hiking trails; 758 acres of mixed forest, meadows, wetlands,
ponds, and streams; wildlife rehabilitation, educational programs, natural history library
and museum. Year-round.
© Copyright 1999-2001 Cottonwood